Your next steps to living Langley
Thank you for exploring our website and expressing your interest in living Langley with us.
On this page, you can learn the steps in the application process and download the materials you need to apply to our Primary, Lower, or Middle School. We look forward to getting to know your child! And please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.
- Tour campus and/or attend an Information Session
- Submit application for admission
- Schedule student visit
- Complete parent interview
- Complete required testing (WPPSI-IV, WISC-V or SSAT)
- Submit teacher recommendations and transcripts
- Submit financial aid application (optional)
- Notification date and enrollment
Tour Campus/Attend an Information Session (optional)
Individual tours can be scheduled on regular school days in the mornings. Please call the Admission Office at (703) 848-2782 or complete this form to schedule a tour. Information sessions are also a popular way to tour the school, meet our head of school and other faculty and staff, and learn more about our program.
Complete an Application
The application deadline for the 2020-2021 school year is January 15, 2020. We are still accepting limited applications for the 2019-2020 school year and will process files for the current year on a rolling basis. Please complete an application online and call the Admission Office at (703) 848-2782 with any questions.
To be considered for the preschool program, students must be three years of age by September 1 of the year they start school. Students applying to junior kindergarten and kindergarten must be four and five years old, respectively, by September 30 of the year they start school. Students applying to grades 1-8 are admitted to grade levels appropriate for their development.
Schedule a Student Visit
Children applying to preschool through grade 1 will be scheduled for a morning visit in Langley’s Primary School classrooms throughout the fall and winter. The length of time spent in the classroom varies based on grade level:
- Preschool: 45 minutes* (conducted on a group basis on Saturday, December 7, 2019, and Saturday, January 11, 2020)
- Junior Kindergarten: One hour
- Kindergarten: Two hours
- Grade 1: Three hours
Students applying to grades 2 through 8 should plan to visit Langley during a school day between October and January. This visit will consist of a full school day spent in class with the student’s current grade and an admission assessment.
Visits will be scheduled by the Admission Office once an application has been received.
*We encourage preschool applicants to submit an application well in advance of the group visit dates to ensure availability.
Complete Parent Interview
During your campus tour, your child’s student visit, or another agreed upon time, the admission team will meet with parents. The Langley School places great importance on the parent/school relationship, and we seek to understand your needs, perspectives, and requirements to ensure a successful partnership.
Complete Required Testing
- No testing is required for applicants to the preschool class.
- Parents of children applying to junior kindergarten through grade 5 should schedule an assessment at a professional evaluation center. For additional information, see the list of evaluation centers.
- Applicants to junior kindergarten, kindergarten, and grade 1 who are 5 years old and younger should take the WPPSI-IV.
- Applicants to grade 1 who are 6 years old should take the WISC-V.
- Applicants to grades 2 through 5 should take the WISC-V.
- Applicants to grades 6 through 8 should take the SSAT test. Students must pre-register with SSAT (www.ssat.org) and know that Langley’s school code is 4507.
- All testing is due by January 31, 2020.
Submit Teacher Recommendations and Transcripts
Teacher recommendations and complete transcripts must be sent directly from your child's school or teacher to The Langley School by January 31, 2020.
Once you have submitted your child's application through our admission portal, you will find instructions to electronically request teacher recommendations directly from your child's teacher(s).
- For Preschool, Junior Kindergarten, and Kindergarten: Recommendations and transcripts are only required if your child currently attends school.
- For Grades 1-5: We require at least one teacher recommendation and a complete transcript.
- For Grades 6-8: We require two teacher recommendations (one math and one language arts) and a complete transcript. If your child has the same teacher for both subjects, please submit a second recommendation from a different teacher.
Transcript Release Authorization: Print and sign this authorization form and give to your child's current school. The school should then send your child's complete transcript directly to The Langley School. Please Note: Transcripts should include at least two years of reports when applicable.
Langley welcomes applications for financial aid. Funds are allocated on the basis of need as determined by Tuition Aid Data Services (TADS) and The Langley School Financial Aid Committee. TADS application forms can be obtained at http://www.tads.com. Financial aid forms for new students are due before February 1, 2020. For returning students, forms are due by January 10, 2020. For more information, please see Tuition/Financial Aid.
Notification Date and Enrollment
The Langley School will notify families in early March 2020 of admission decisions for 2020-2021. Enrollment contracts confirming acceptance of enrollment are to be returned by the date indicated on the acceptance letter, with the required non-refundable tuition deposit.
Missed Our Admission Webinars?