“Give S.O.M.E. Love” Food Drive
February 12 - March 5, 2021
In place of our annual Day of Giving this year, The Langley School will hold a “Give S.O.M.E. Love” food drive for So Others Might Eat (S.O.M.E.), a service organization that supports those experiencing homelessness and poverty in the DC area. Langley has a long-standing partnership with S.O.M.E., with our Middle Schoolers supporting the organization through the years by collecting toiletries for holiday shoeboxes and serving breakfast to those in need.
Langley is committed to preparing empathetic and proactive citizens of the world through service learning. This year, students and families will learn about food equity and hunger through this service opportunity.
How You Can Participate:
There will be a number of ways for students and families to contribute during the “Give S.O.M.E. Love” food drive which will run from February 12 – March 5.
- Drop off food items in the collection boxes in each classroom or outside the Lower School
- Purchase and ship food items directly to the school at 1411 Balls Hill Road, McLean, VA 22101 (attention: Food Drive)
- Donate funds online using the form below which Langley will use to purchase food items
Suggested Food Items Include:
- Beans and lentils (dry or canned)
- Canned vegetables (low sodium)
- Canned fruit (packed in water or juice)
- Healthy snacks like dried fruit (w/o sugar)
- Canned sardines
- Milk alternatives (soy and almond milk)
- Canned tuna, chicken, or salmon
- Peanut butter and other nut butters
- Whole-grain crackers
- Low-sugar cereal
- Pasta sauce and tomato sauce
- Coffee or tea
- Breakfast bars
At the conclusion of our food drive on Friday, March 5, a Langley school bus will be loaded with all of the donated food items and on display for students to see the impact of their contribution before it is driven to S.O.M.E. for delivery. The drive will culminate with a celebratory assembly on March 5.
If you have questions, please contact the event’s co-chairs, Tina Williams and Sarah Helou.
The school will use your cash donation to purchase food items to support S.O.M.E.