Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any additional questions that have not been answered on this page, please contact the Summer Studio Office at (571) 594-5978 or email@example.com. If no one is available to take your call, please leave a message and a staff member will respond as soon as possible.
- How old does my child need to be to attend Summer Studio?
- Does my child need to be potty-trained?
- The class for which I would like to register is full. How do I place my child (ren) on the waitlist? How are we notified if a space has become available?
- What is the refund or cancellation policy?
- When does registration close?
- Can I request a friend to be in my child’s class/group?
- Do you offer extended care?
- Do you offer transportation? How does it work?
- What are the chances of my child getting into a waitlisted class?
Due to the extreme popularity of many of our classes, waitlists do occur. To place your child on the waitlist, you must register online for the specific class’ waitlist. There is no fee for being on a waiting list, nor is any credit card information required. We cannot take waitlist registrations or hold spots over the phone. As spaces become available, they are filled in the order in which they were registered online.
Should a space become available for a waitlisted class, you will be notified via e-mail and/or telephone to confirm interest in the available spot. If you decide to enroll your child in the available spot, you will need to complete your registration by paying the deposit and/or full payment online (please see our class changes, cancellations, & withdrawals policy). There is no penalty should you choose not to enroll; we will simply notify the next family on the waitlist.
Parents/guardians must inform the Summer Studio Office in writing if they are withdrawing their child from any class. If a cancellation is made at any time before May 1, 2019, all payments, minus the non-refundable deposit, will be refunded. No refunds will be granted for withdrawals after May 1, 2019. Deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable between classes, siblings, and other programs offered by The Langley School.
If a class is under-enrolled, Summer Studio reserves the right to cancel the class and a full refund will be granted. Advance notice will be provided in these situations two weeks prior to the start of class, and the Summer Studio team will help families find alternative class options. In cases where the cost of the new class is greater than the class being replaced, the price difference will be charged to the camper. All changes are based on availability and grade requirements.
There are no refunds for absences and there is no provision for make-up classes. No refund will be granted in the event of dismissal for inappropriate or unsafe conduct.
Yes. Our Extend the Fun Aftercare program runs from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. daily for campers in grades JK-8. You may register for the week or on a drop-in, as needed basis. Please see Camp Extras for additional information.
Yes. Summer Studio offers cluster-stop bus service in McLean, Great Falls, North Arlington, and Vienna. Busing options are morning, mid-day, afternoon, or round-trip. Registration is for the entire week. To participate in camp busing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Families choosing to participate are contacted one week prior to their start at camp to confirm the exact location of the cluster stop as well as drop-off or pick-up times. In the event of your child’s illness or absence, please notify the Summer Studio Office as soon as possible. There is no refund for cancellations or absences on the bus.If no adult is present at the drop-off location to receive the camper, he or she will be brought back to The Langley School at the completion of the route. For mid-day busing, the camper will wait in the Summer Studio Office until pick-up. For afternoon busing, he or she will join Extend the Fun. In both cases, parents/guardians will be charged the extended care drop-in fee of $20 per day. Please see Camp Extras for additional information.
- What forms do I need to complete in order for my child to attend Summer Studio?
- How do I complete and/or submit the required forms?
- Can I tour the campus before the first day of camp?
- Can I add more classes after I have registered my child?
- Can I change my child’s class schedule?
- What if my child starts a camp and does not like it or is not settling in?
- My child does not want to go on the scheduled field trip. Can he/she attend a different class on that day?
Summer Studio require the following forms submitted to the Summer Studio Office prior to your child(ren)’s first day:
- Proof of Identification Form (must be completed in person by a legal parent/guardian)
- Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form
- Medication Authorization Consent Form completed by a parent/guardian and physician (only if prescription medication is required)
If your child attended The Langley School for the 2018-2019 academic year or are a returning camper from the 2016, 2017, or 2018 season, you will NOT need to resubmit Proof of Identification or the Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form unless an update has been made.
Yes. We encourage you to attend our Open House on June 9, 2019 from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Tours are led by Langley School and Summer Studio staff. The Open House is an excellent opportunity to see campus, meet our staff, and ask any questions they might have.
If this day is not convenient for you, please email the Summer Studio office at email@example.com and set up a private tour with one of our camp staff members.
Space permitting, class changes may be made before registration closes for a camp week. A $25 fee will apply to each change in a camper’s schedule, plus the difference in cost between the classes. Please review our policy on class changes.
After attending at least two classes, if you find that your child doesn’t like his/her class or isn’t settling in, you can request to switch your child to a different class provided space permits. Please review our policy on class changes.
- Do you have themes for each week?
- What should my child wear to camp?
- What should my child bring to camp?
- Does my child need a snack?
- Does my child need a lunch?
- Where is lost and found located?
We encourage campers to wear clothing that is both comfortable and conducive to learning. Campers should dress in a style that reflects modesty, self-respect, and sensitivity to others. We encourage you to label all of your child’s belongings.
We ask that campers not wear shirts that are form-fitting, sheer, or low-cut or bottoms that contain wording or graphics on the backside. For safety reasons, we ask that you not send your child in flip flops, Crocs, roller sneakers/Heelys, or any kind of backless shoe as they are not recommended for any activity. Special clothing may be recommended or required for certain field trips and for certain sports classes.
For campers participating in Beginnings, we recommend that they bring a full change of clothes (including socks and undergarments.)
We encourage campers to bring the items listed below each day. Please label all of your child’s belongings.
- Water bottle
- Backpack or bag
- Lunch if full-day attendance (if not participating in the boxed lunch program)
- Snack (morning session ONLY)
- Change of clothes (Beginnings only and certain Destination Traveler camps)
Yes. Campers participating in a morning class should plan to bring a snack. Summer Studio is a peanut-controlled environment. We request that campers not bring anything in their snacks that contains peanuts, peanut butter, any peanut products, or products containing peanut oil. Please label peanut substitutes accordingly to avoid any confusion.
Summer Studio is pleased to partner with Fairfax Food Service once again to provide a five-day meal plan (includes Pizza Day) option for campers who attend a full day of both morning and afternoon classes for an additional fee of $40 per week. However, for the campers who wish to bring lunch from home, we ask that campers bring lunches that does not require refrigeration.
Campers may also register for Pizza Day only. For $8, campers receive two slices of Papa John’s cheese pizza, fresh fruit/fruit cup, and juice. Please note: Only campers who attend morning and afternoon classes may order lunch. Students on campus for a full day may also bring a lunch from home.
Summer Studio is a peanut-controlled environment. We request that campers not bring anything in their lunches that contains peanuts, peanut butter, any peanut products, or products containing peanut oil. Please label peanut substitutes accordingly to avoid any confusion.
The lost and found cabinet is located in the entrance to the Betty Brown Lower School building. All items remaining in the lost and found cabinet at the end of each week will be held for one week. After that week, all items will either be donated to charity or discarded. Summer Studio is not responsible for lost or stolen items. We encourage you to label all of your child’s belongings.
- What is your policy for inclement weather?
- Do you have a nurse on staff?
- What do I need to do if my child needs prescription medication?
- Can my child bring peanut-based foods for snack or lunch?
In order for prescription medication (including EpiPens) to be administered to a camper, a written Medication Authorization Consent Form must be completed by a parent/guardian and the child’s physician.
All medication must be in the original container, with the child’s name, the name of the medication, and the dose of the medication indicated on the prescription label. All medication will be kept in the nurse’s office.
The Langley School requires all parents/guardians to provide the school with at least two EpiPens (epinephrine injectors) if they have informed the Summer Studio Office that their child has a potentially life-threatening allergy. If medication and documentation are not provided, the child will be sent home and not permitted to return to Summer Studio until all materials have been submitted. Medication must be picked up at the end of Summer Studio.
- What if my child needs to leave early or arrive late?
- When can I line up for carpool?
- Can I walk my child into camp?
- How will my child find his/her classes?
- Can I stay and observe my child’s class?
- Can I park and walk in to pick up my child?
- What should I do if someone else is picking up my child?
- How do I inform Summer Studio of a playdate arrangement?
- I am running late to pick up my child. What should I do?
If your child is late to arrive, please walk him or her into the Summer Studio Office and sign in. We ask that parents/guardians not take a child directly to class. If your child needs to leave early, please contact the Summer Studio Office by telephone at (571) 594-5978 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can ensure that your child is ready and waiting for you in the Summer Studio Office.
Campers are supervised at all times. During morning and afternoon drop-off, campers not participating in the Beginnings program gather the Assembly Room. Campers are dismissed by classes and are walked to and from classes by a teacher or counselor. Those campers participating in the Beginnings program gather in the Primary School Assembly Room and are walked to their class.
Any person (including parents) picking up a camper from Summer Studio must be authorized to do so on the camper’s registration form. Please know that anyone picking up a child will need to present a photo ID to the staff member present. Therefore, please bring a driver's license or other photo ID each time. Additionally, any changes or modifications to a camper’s authorized pick-up list must be submitted to the Summer Studio Office in writing.
Please contact the Summer Studio Office by telephone at (571) 594-5978 as soon as you (or the authorized pick-up person) know you will be late. Please see below for additional information:
- Mid-Day Late Pick-up: Campers will wait in the Summer Studio Office until picked up. Parents/guardians will be charged the Extend the Fun drop-in fee of $20.
- Afternoon Late Pick-up: Campers not picked up during afternoon carpool will be sent to Extend the Fun and parents/guardians will be charged the drop-in fee of $20.
- Extend the Fun Late Pick-up: Extend the Fun closes promptly at 5:00 p.m. A late fee per pick-up is assessed after 5:00 p.m. Between 5:00 – 5:30 p.m., charges are $25 for every 15 minutes or fraction thereof. After 30 minutes, charges increase to $50 for every 15 minutes or fraction thereof.