Frequently Asked Questions
- What is The Langley Fund?
- Is annual giving unique to Langley?
- Why doesn’t the school charge enough to cover operating costs?
- What is the difference between annual giving and a capital campaign?
- How do I make a gift of stock?
- May I make my gift(s) anonymously?
- Is it possible to make a gift in memory of someone or to honor a former teacher or coach?
- My company offers a matching gift program. Does Langley participate in corporate matching gift programs?
- Is my gift tax-deductible?
- What is Langley’s EIN (Tax ID) Number?
- The Langley Fund is the school’s annual fund and most important source of revenue, aside from student tuition. It is a vital part of the annual operating budget, contributing to every part of the school’s operation, including fine arts, athletics, technology, professional development, and financial aid.
- Capital campaigns are conducted periodically to provide significant funds for additions to endowment, construction, renovation, or extensive equipment purchases. Contributions are generally pledged over three to five years. Annual giving is designed to offset annual operating expenses; if the gift is pledged, it is payable – and spent – by the end of the academic year.
- Certainly. If there is a specific project you would like to fund, please let us know. Generally, endowment funds may be established to support scholarship, faculty salaries and professional development, and specific academic, athletic, and co-curricular programs. The principal of endowed funds remains invested and untouched in perpetuity, generally with five percent of the invested amount being used each year in operations for the intended purpose, should the returns and valuation permit. Many donors choose to honor or memorialize a family member, friend, or faculty member through the naming of endowed funds. Click here to learn more.
- Yes. Your support makes the difference in securing the future of The Langley School. Opportunities for planned giving include bequests, gifts of retirement assets or life insurance, charitable gift annuities, remainder trusts, and lead trusts. Click here to learn more.
- The annual spring auction is a great community building activity and is one of the school’s primary fundraising initiatives. All funds raised help to offset current-year operating expenses such as faculty and staff salaries, student financial aid, and academic and extracurricular programs. We hope that you will choose to participate in and support the fundraiser by attending the event, donating an item for the online or live auctions, or serving as a volunteer. A special component of the evening, “Raise the Paddle,” invites support for our professional development program.
We celebrate and sincerely appreciate the generosity of those who support The Langley School. As you consider a gift in support of the school and its initiatives, please keep in mind that all gifts – regardless of size – make a difference. It is the collective effort that supports and sustains our community.
For additional information, please contact Head of Development Jinene Christian at (703) 848-2785 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest.